The Tequila sunrise cocktail is a modern drink originating from Sausalito, California, in the early 1970s after an earlier one created in the 1930s in Phoenix, Arizona. The cocktail is named for its its appearance when served—with gradations of colour resembling a sunrise. In the mocktail version the ruby red grenadine syrup is replaced by tropical hibiscus.
- 250 ml orange juice
- 30 ml Hibiscus simple syrup
- 20 ml red wine vinegar
- cocktail cherries
- Fill two glasses with ice
- Pour orange juice over the ice
- In a small jug mix vinegar and Hibiscus simple syrup then slowly drizzle over the top creating a rosy sunset effect in the juice.
- Garnish with a cherry and slice of orange
- Add a straw to serve
Option-add slice of fresh ginger to each glass for some zing